3. – 4. December 2021
We invite students from different background that have ideas, have expertise, want to work in a team and compete with other students.
The solutions will be evaluated based on final 3 minutes pitch considering the criteria:
- Concept and Innovation – 30p
- Business Model – 20p
- Market study – 10p
- Presentation – 20p
- Team work – 10p
- Technical advantage – 10p
REGISTRATION IS OPEN UNTIL 2.12.2021 !
Ideas and support from GE Healthcare
Abstract: Modern healthcare produces a tremendous amount of data and offers a huge variety of diagnostic and treatment options. Even for healthcare professionals it’s a difficult challenge to collect, interpret and analyze all the available information and make the right decision for the patients. For the patients themselves it’s even more difficult to digest all this information and make the right choices, since their medical knowledge is limited, they receive information from various sources in an unstructured way, they often get conflicting advices, they are deeply impacted personally and emotionally, and on top of everything, they are sick people.
Patients are receiving health information from various sources in various formats, including lab reports with a lot of difficult to understand numbers, DVDs with medical imaging output in specialized file formats, printed radiologist reports full of scientific terms, etc. They may have a hard time collecting and storing all these in an organized way, understanding each of the inputs and obtaining a synthetic view of the whole situation.
This component intends to interface with the various information sources, collect, organize, and store all the data, and display them in a clear and understandable way. It may provide help in the interpretation of lab result, explanations for the medical terms, provide information about the proposed treatments, etc. While the interface is primarily targeted to patients, it should also be suitable for medical professionals, since the patient may want to discuss what he saw there with his doctor.
In today’s world the internet offers easily accessible information to everyone about various healthcare topics. But it can be challenging to navigate among the various information sources, to find relevant information related to a given set of symptoms, or to differentiate between reliable and unreliable sources. Some patients may easily jump to unjustified conclusions about the disease they have or follow some unscientific and potentially harmful advice in the hope of getting better.
This component intends to use the various collected health information to help the user finding relevant information on the internet. Search the net for various topics, like background information, treatment options, lifestyle recommendations, symptoms to watch for, etc., and score them according to level of relevance, level of reliability, level of difficulty to understand, etc.
A patient’s wellbeing may be strongly influenced by a potential wrong decision he makes about when he takes medication, when and what he eats, the types of exercises he does. He may also experience some unexpected new symptoms and may have to decide whether he should just wait to get better, take some medication, or go to the hospital immediately.
This component intends to use the available health information to provide real-time advice to the patient. It can track the schedule of medications and doctors’ appointments and provide timely reminders about what needs to be done. It may also collect additional information from wearable devices, ask the patient about how he feels, ask about targeted symptoms, prompt him to take measurements (weight, blood pressure, temperature, etc.) and give advice about what the patient needs to do.
A sickness is emotionally trying, and some treatments plans need dedication from the patients, like keeping a diet, doing exercises, or taking drugs with unpleasant side effects. Some patients may lose motivation, and eventually a significant number of patients do not comply with the treatment plan.
The goal of this component is to motivate patients to adhere to the treatment plan and reward them for their efforts, like a computer game.
Some patients may find it difficult to discuss their problems with other people, especially if they want to keep it secret from others. They may also find that their loved ones can’t efficiently help them because they were never affected by this disease.
The goal of this component is to connect the patient to other patients with similar health issues to exchange experiences and provide support to each other. This may work a bit as a dating app finding the best matches to the given patient, but also providing a platform for anonymous information exchange in pairs or in group chats.
In big institutions patients may easily feel lost, not knowing where exactly they should go, how long they will have to wait and what will happen to them.
This component collects information from a hospital system to help patients to navigate within the building, find the place of the next examination(s), show where they are in the overall process, show the expected waiting time, provide automatic reminders for the next appointment, checklist about the preparations to be made, etc.
REGISTRATION IS OPEN UNTIL 2.12.2021 !
Friday 03.12.2021 (all hours are CET)
12:00-12:30 – Welcome & program presentation &set up
Are you ready to launch your energy and idea and compete with students from different universities across Europe? Set up your place on Airmeet and join us on main stage to see the start of the event!
12:30-13:30 – Ideas presentation
We help people with ideas to stand up and present them on the main stage, and convince others to join. This is the key moment in which you may find the perfect team to work with. We also invited the mentors to offer them a first glimpse of your proposals to solving the challenges.
13:30-14:00 – Teams development
Allocated time to form the teams, such that any participant can contribute to a solution. Then teams will go to lounge and sit on tables (each team will have an allocated table on Airmeet lounge).
16:00-17:00 – Mentoring time
Our distinguished group of mentors will visit teams’ tables ask about your ideas and give you advice and suggestions.
18:00 – 19.00 – Break
Energy booster break with the help of our student volunteers and sponsor, be prepared to have fun on the main stage.
20.30 – 21.30 Break
Virtual Dinner Party to mingle and relax on the main stage.
Saturday 04.12.2021 (all hours are CET)
08:30-09:00 – Coffee & Q&A
Early morning, pour coffee, get a healthy breakfast. The next half hour is going to be amazing …
09:00:9.30 – Pitching webinar
Valuable advice to build your pitch on main stage, with the contribution of Zane Bojare, Head of Marketing at Startup Wise Guys accelerator, co-founder at social enterprise Lude and co-creator at Riga TechGirls. After 10+ years in marketing communications and building her own company, Zane is currently helping techy startup founders become successful entrepreneurs at one of Europe’s top startup accelerators – Startup Wise Guys
10:00-11:00 – Mentoring
Second round of advice and recommendations given by different mentors, who will be visiting teams’ tables.
12.00-12.30 – Break
Mini game (quiz) offered GE Healthcare on main stage.
13.30 – 14.30 – Final pitches presentation
The moment has come… step on the main stage, give a 3 minutes pitch and convince the jury, that your solution is worth to be supported.
15.30 – Closing and award ceremony The jury will give their verdict and prizes will be offered on the main stage
- Ion Petrovai Representing EIT Health in Romania, Ion has a huge healthcare innovation and business developement experience, being actively involved in the entrepreneurial ecosystem in Cluj and Romania.
- Cosmin Mihaiu UBB Alumni and TED fellow, Cosmin is one of the founder of Mira Rehab a start-up that uses motion tracking sensors to gamify physical therapy. Benefiting from Healthbox accelerator, the company is now present in UK and Romania. Currently, Cosmin is project manager in dedicated projects with Oxford University, combining his entrepreneurial experience with his technical background.
- Adrian Darabant Assoc Prof at UBB, department of Computer Science, Adrian has a outstanding experience both in academics and business development, conducting several successful project in collaboration with industry.
- Tudor Ileni Passionate PhD student from the Department of Computer Science, UBB, with a solid expertise in ML and other AI techniques. Lately, he is a dedicated contributor to building an innovation mindset within his department.
- Cristian Virciu Passionate about design and all things creative, Cristian described himself as “a creative problem-solver and can handle the unexpected”. Currently, he is a senior UX designer at Wolfpack Digital, Cluj-Napoca.
- Anna Tokmakova representing University of Plovid
- Marius Rus, founder at StressLess, UBB alumni, Marius has an oustanding experience as consultant for business development
- Laviniu Chis, Business consultant and startup enthusiast
- Alexandru Roja, PhD, Head of Innovation and Digital Transformation la Transilvania IT Cluster
- Florin Pop, Angel Investor, business mentor and startup advisor based in Cluj-Napoca
- Mircea Vadan, Focused on the Eastern European startup ecosystem (acceleration programs, angel investments, venture capital)
- Victor Barna, software developer with expertise in startups
- Cristiana Bogateanu, Executive Director at ROTSA (Romanian Tech Startups Association)
- Nikolay Chachev, representing University of Plovdiv
- Alexandra McConnachie, MBA, responsible for Innovation management at Heriot-Watt University, Alexandra (Sasha) is passionate about Bringing innovation to market and Technology & Knowledge Transfer
- Fairouz Kamareddine, Professor at Heriot-Watt University, Fairouz has a strong Computer Science background and an outstanding experience in startup creation.
- Bianca Muntean, Co-Founder & Coordinator at Transilvania Digital Innovation Hub, Bianca is one of the most active person in entrepreneurial initiatives in Cluj-Napoca, with several successful projects. Her expertise covers business development, policies, project management, to name just a few.
- Maya Stoeva, University of Plovdiv alumni, Maya is team lead and m+w MediaNetworks, with a passion for UX/UI design
- Gunce Onur, Partner at Startup Wise Guys – the leading early-stage VC fund in Eastern Europe with more than 250 portfolio companies. Between 2016-2018, Gunce Onur worked for Keiretsu Forum Angel Investor Network and helped 12 startups to raise more than 3 million dollar angel investment in total. Between 2018-2019, she managed a portfolio of 60 startups in StartersHub Early Stage VC Fund
- Paul Devlin, working in innovative technical and commercial environments throughout his career, excelling and bringing positive results at every stage. Paul has made the transition from an engineer, patent holding researcher and company founder to a commercially focused senior programme manager, consultant and trusted advisor.
- Zoltan Istenes, prof.PhD. at ELTE, Zoltan is actively involved in Industrial Doctoral School, holding the position of Activity Lead for Innovation and Entrepreneurship Doctoral Seminars
- TBA, General Electric Healthcare
REGISTRATION IS OPEN UNTIL 2.12.2021 !